5.4.13

Oh, Internet.

I remember when we got our first dial-up connection in Zambia. I hadn't a clue what it was. All I knew was that it was 'cool' because when I told a friend that we were getting the 'internet' she was awed and a little bit jealous and I might just have savoured that a little bit. Ha. I was generally the kid that envied my friends for their videogames and cable connections... We never had them, as a choice that my parents made for us. Instead we went out and played 1-2-3 Block, Hopscotch and England-Ireland-Scotland-Wales, football, Dog-in-the-bone and whole gamut of other games with the neighbours' kids. In retrospect, I am grateful and I only hope that I can make that choice for my kids too.

My dad helped me create my first email address with Hotmail and it was awesome even though I had no one to email at that point. Slowly, I started discovering that you can do other things on the internet, like playing games, and looking up information and soon I was hooked! All the while running up a massive bill for my parents...

It's a good thing broadband happened because my average number of hours spent on the internet has only increased. Today, half of my work happens on the internet. Emails, client-meetings, organisation, scheduling, marketing, networking, research, delivery, etc etc... I don't know what I would do without it.

And then when you're procrastinating from all those essential things there all these awesomely cool and sometimes totally random things that you find on the internet on a regular basis and just have to share with someone! So I thought well, let's share it!

Here is this week's edition:

1. Time-Lapse Earth. An absolutely incredible time-lapse video of the earth from photographs taken by astronauts on board the International Space Station. My favourite part is seeing the lightning in the clouds! Surreal!


2. This illustration of Social Networking pre-Internet is quite funny!


3. Not Another Bill. This crazy website allows you to subscribe to have monthly 'surprises' sent to yourself or a friend. While I admit it's a pretty innovative idea and they claim that their aim is to "surprise and delight you whilst introducing you to great artists, designers and brands," it's a little bit sad, is it not? Yeah, it's always nice to finally get something in the post that you ordered but the real joy is in receiving something from someone who took the time to go to the post-office and not just because your name is on some subscription list...


No comments:

Blog Archive